In 1955, the War Memorial was created. Nearly 15,000 names of military personnel killed in the line of duty during World War II and the Korean War from New Jersey and Delaware fill the Memorial Walls. In subsequent years, additional memorials, monuments and statues were erected to pay tribute to our country’s finest and incorporated into the park gardens. Many of these projects were independently funded.
Above the names on the central memorial, carved in stone are these words: “Inscribed here are the names of those valiant men and women of the State of Delaware and the State of New Jersey who gave their lives in the service of the United States of America during World War II and the Korean War in whose memory this Delaware Memorial Bridge is dedicated.”